Sunday, January 31, 2010

The Higher Foolishness

Q & A with Mixed Media-Combines Artist Tim Weldon

How did your work evolve into what we see today as Combines?
When I returned to painting after a fifteen year hiatus from the art world I started with these combination painting/assemblages of found objects. After a few years, I got away from that and focused primarily on mixed media paintings on canvas using vibrant colors, texture and poetry, which I have exhibited over the last 13 years nationally as well as, internationally in cities including NYC, San Francisco, Los Angeles, Santa Fe, Chicago, Montreal, Mexico, Italy and France.

Over the years, I would experiment with many different surfaces such as plywood, burlap, collage, galvanized steel – which ultimately evolved into my current body of work which includes rescued objects, old toys and pieces of Americana. I now paint with the natural ingredients I find and put them together like puzzles over a period of time. When they feel like they need a visitor, I call on my old friend, “El” or “Whistle-Man” as I call him. He is the central figure of these creative wanderings and is a traveler or an adventurer that appears in these pages of a life-size journal. He is presented as the tenant in these Combines, always evolving. My themes include folklore, dance, music, theatre and multi-cultural expressions.


(Weldons Collage “Womb Stereo” was featured recently on hit TV show ‘Californication’)






You’re currently working on a museum installation with several other artists, can you elaborate on the experience and the show?

The “ Exquisite Garden” is a sophisticated amalgamation focused primarily on my friend,
Joe Brubaker and his sculptures. He and a cast of characters including myself, Jeff Hvid, Don Guthrie and a host of others got together to build a “Garden” out of junk. Jeff salvaged a good portion of the material that we used. He found the junk in the creeks of Marin County just so he could keep the area clean. The green movement or recycling materials is at the forefront of this multi-artist experience. We had no plan except that the area would be staged with three pieces of driftwood from the creeks that stood about twelve to fifteen feet high. We then built trees and many scenes within scenes from these found objects and created a garden that Joe’s sculptures were looking into as if they were born there. To me, the area looked more like an island or a shipwreck that left these forgotten items and their inhabitants left for a different life. Regardless of its personal appearance, the process in how this “Garden” came to be, is why we do art in the first place.

What are your plans for showing your work in the future?

After working on an installation of such large proportions and my experience with dance, and music, I’d like to incorporate real movement and sound along with these Combines to create video/theater-type backdrops. While this may take some time to evolve, I will continue to experiment with different surfaces and mediums in order to satisfy my thirst for adventure.

More on Tim Weldon’s art.

Weldons’ show “The Higher Foolishness” is currently on exhibition at Ink Studios~ Art Gallery in NoHo. Check http://www.inkit.com/site/Exhibits-Events.html
for events and show details.

No comments: